Friday, August 7

a waitress gives us a look as we throw punches at each other at Anthony's; (a lot of endings in a run on poem)


this week i spilled $40 tequila on my carpet
and watched you rip up my old papers as you told me it was therapeutic.
stolen wine turns into a single, accidental kiss
that feels almost too comfortable.
in retrospect it feels like a final ending:
sad, kind,
and real.

my mother showed me her legs with skin that lacked elasticity more than ever
"getting old" she told me.
after frowning at her, she says "we just have to learn to accept it"
but she doesn't realize that it's not the aesthetic of sagging legs that makes me sad;
it is having our own skin remind us
that we are dying.

last night you wouldn't tell me why you drank a bottle of wine
along with painkillers;
instead you blew smoke in my face, slowly
while I stared at the full moon over lake whatcom
trying to understand displaced affection.

today my father bought me a large glass jar to put flour in
and entrusted me his ex wife's number
he told me to call her if "anything ever happened to him"
I frown again.
I run into you on the bus home
and after, I collapse on the grass
hugging an empty jar
and watching the wind
blow dandelions at eye level
happy for once
simply because I know you

(maybe that is finally enough)

2 comments:

nightmare atm said...

i once thought if i ever had to describe how i felt or name the imaginary memoir of my life it would be silly for me to write i think i would probably call it 'days of living' which i guess seems like maybe a semi-neutral meloncholy thing to describe the thing that is living which i think is what this is all about

brandon said...

annie

you commented on my blog about the 13th

i think im going to cancel that reading, on the 13th, and go to the literary death match thing instead, just to watch